Celebrating National Weddings Month With Founder of Woosah Bride, Shonte’ Parrish Norgriff
Woosah Bride was founded in 2022 after the founder, Shonte’ Parrish Norgriff, and her husband experienced planning their wedding in 2021 during the pandemic. This brand is for those planning brides who may feel anxious, overwhelmed, or pressured to please everyone but themselves.
Woosah Bride was founded to create awareness for melanated brides and their support systems on the importance of prioritizing mental health. The goal is also to create a community specifically to uplift this change.
February is National Weddings Month; a celebration of the beauty of unconditional love and the excitement of marriage. We are so excited to highlight the Founder of Woosah Bride, Shonte’ Parrish Norgriff.
What does your brand mean to you?
Shonte’ Parrish Norgriff: This is brand is so personal to me. My husband proposed in August 2020, in the middle of a global pandemic, countless people dying, losing their jobs, and people who look like me were still being gunned down for no reason other than being black. Although the state of the world contributed to my depressed state at times, I struggled to find balance in taking care of myself mentally while planning. I struggled with finding a circle of people who understood that I was excited, I was happy, and I did have and love my wedding planner, but I was in a constant state of anxiety, worry, and frustration.
I was shocked at how there was so much in my 32 years of life, I never knew about how planning a wedding changes the dynamic between your family members, friends, your partner’s closest loved ones, etc. I was shocked about wedding etiquette no one seemed to understand. During my planning process, I ordered all types of planners, bridal boxes, etc. to help me be organized and excited, however in these products, there were barely any representation of black faces. No black women, no black love, no black weddings! In my bridal groups, brides asked the same exact questions, looking for the same things, and I am here to provide a solution. For US by US.
What makes your business unique?
Shonte’ Parrish Norgriff: This brand is unique because of the following:
1. One of our featured products, a wellness wedding planner titled “Sis, let’s plan this wedding” is a survival guide for brides to be which contains curated timelines and checklists for Eloping, Destination, Traditional, Frugal, and Luxe Black Brides.
2. Our contributors include wedding industry professionals such as actual wedding planners.
3. Our contributors include several specialists in healthcare (dermatologists, psychiatrist, general physician, nutritionist, intimacy and sex doctors) who provide curated advice and recommendations specifically for melanated brides.
4. Our contributors include a contract and negotiations attorney who provides curated advice and recommendations specifically for melanated brides.
5. Our contributors include pre and post-marital counselors who provide curated advice and recommendations specifically for melanated brides.
6. Our contributors include several wellness and self-care brands who provide curated advice and recommendations specifically for melanated brides.
7. The brand will provide bridal and travel consultants for brides to book and also wants to branch into a subscription-based model for brides to have access for healthcare professionals to make appointments for the period they are planning for specialized advice.
8. The brand will host events like Black Girl Bridal Expos that will allow melanated brides to have access to up-and-coming designers, minority-owned vendors such as florists, photographers, venue owners, professional planners, etc. This event will be hosted like a family reunion with entertainment and art being included in the model.
What do you hope for your company now and in the future?
Shonte’ Parrish Norgriff: Woosah Bride hopes to bridge the gap between the glamour of planning your big day and the reality which involves learning how to set boundaries and take care of self. It also has a specific product line to show illustrations of black and brown women of all shapes, sizes, and ages.
Get connected on Instagram @woosahbride